Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Rod's Induction

In the midst of a week of scorching temperatures we were very fortunate to have a cooler morning for Rod's Induction. Lots of visitors from the Urban Mission Network and Pilgrim Uniting contributed to making the time feel like a special event.

Rod spoke beautifully - about humitiation and holy insecurity. You can read what he said by clicking to read the comment at the bottom of this post.

Rev Beth Seaman, representing the Presbytery of SA, led the proceedings
all of the ecofaith members had some part in the ceremony
We also signed the Memorandum of Understanding we have with pilgrim to be 'sister' faith communities.
then the kids played and the adults enjoyed conversation and refreshments

1 comment:

Louise said...

What Rod said at his induction:
My first induction, well actually my only induction was relatively high church. Dignitaries from the Presbytery gowned up and I wore my new white alb for the second time. I was a rookie rev with my first parish and I had all the information, tools and enthusiasm ready to be let loose on these faithful people.

It was my turn to speak. As I backed up the steps of the front of the little church I stepped on the edge of my alb. The next step was even higher up the hem and what was meant to be a graceful, dignified movement turned into a humiliating near crash on my backside.

I wanted to present myself as Wise,confident, and strong while I was really Naïve, insecure, silly and eager. I wanted all to see how learned I was while really my learning had just begun.

And so it began, There have been many humiliations, disappointments and insecurity along the way. The way of ordinariness. Is ordination about being ordinary?

I have had the rare privilege in this ordinariness, humility, disappointment and insecurity to be alongside others in theirs.

I/ve found a rich garden full of the compost of people’s lives. Over those years I have learned that:
Nothing waters growth more than a good shower of humiliation
Nothing is more fertile than a bed of disappointment
Nothing is more growth producing the warm shine of Holy Insecurity

So today at this induction
I leave country for city
The inside for the outside
And …. One motley bunch for another

I pledge this part of my life to my God, my companion Ruth, my family and you my faith community

And I promise that with God’s grace
I will be humiliated and humiliate
I will be disappointed and disappoint
Ii will encourage always a state of Holy Insecurity as we share the rich, fertile, fruitful garden of life.