Thursday, February 26, 2009

from the Manse, February 24th


Dear Friends,

I waited at the lights. I knew the sequence but I tapped the steering wheel just to hurry things along. Ruth was waiting for me. A Pedestrian walked in front of me. Others waited to go the other way. My phone rang. I could see it wasn’t the call I had been waiting for. I pondered the situation. She said it would take a few days. It was now over a week. Should I wait or should I call? The light sequence changed, only one more to wait for.

My thoughts drifted to Ruth’s daughter. Any day, any moment now her child will be born. We are all waiting. Mum who is tired and uncomfortable, us because we are excited, all waiting for nature to take its course. And I’m waiting to see if it is a boy. There will be a few waiting to tell me “I told you so!” if it is a girl. Back at the lights I saw the amber turn to red and counted to five last sequence and its my turn!

Waiting! We do it all the time for every thing. In the Christian calendar this is the first week of Lent. Waiting for Easter eggs and hot cross buns? Seriously, lent is really about reflecting on how we are, who we are, what we need, what we don’t, all while we wait for the end of the sequence. We can hurry things along by tapping our fingers or take the time to reflect. Honk! Honk! What was I waiting for? It’s green!

Grace and peace

Rod

No comments: