Tuesday, April 14, 2009

From the Manse, April 8 2009 - Emmaus Walk


Dear Friends,
The alarm went. I woke up feeling tired and heavy. Gym! I just didn’t feel like going to gym, but that was what the alarm was for. I dragged myself out knowing exercise was important, got ready, made a cuppa, a piece of toast, turned the computer on, opened some mail, read the junk mail, mucked around with things, put the rubbish out, and then decided it was too late for gym because it would be too much traffic coming back. Successful sabotage!

“Two days without exercise Rod!” “You know how easy it is to let it slip!” said the authority. Immediately a whole chorus of voices arose from the deep whining and grumbling, muttering excuses, abuses, justifications, arguments, until another quiet but firm voice said, “why don’t we go for a walk instead?” Silence! Blank stares! Nods of agreement! Shakes of indecision! “We’ve heard this voice before …is it a trick?” “No, he’s never tricked us before” The quiet voice said; “I’ll walk with you! Let’s go!” And one of them said; “It’s you, I thought they had got rid of you, but you are here, stay with us”

Grace and peace

Rod

No comments: