Thursday, December 18, 2008

from the Manse

Dear Friends,

She called out. I was surrounded by cups, plates, toast, butter, milk and teapot with morning hair, just awake but still on automatic. “Ok! Ok!” I said while I continued the breakfast ritual. She called again. I surveyed the scene. A drawer, two cupboard doors and the fridge all open. I closed the fridge door, and the insistent voice stopped.

My attention was called to my habit of leaving drawers and doors open during cooking. It’s for easy access but I do forget and ruefully notice Ruth closing the left-opens after I leave. We have discussed it, and while there is initial annoyance she has decided it is not worth getting upset about. The onus is on me to remember or not. Ironically we both agree we would miss some of our little ways if they weren’t there.

The alarm in the fridge prompted insight! It’s insistence was a reminder of the grace and acceptance I receive in spite of my idiosyncrasies and the absolute choice I have in how I respond in any situation. In the Christmas story, Mary responds to her pregnant dilemma with acceptance and grace. How do you think she really felt? What’s your response to the things you can’t change?

Grace and peace,
Rod

No comments: